Saturday, August 14, 2010

Attachment, Adjustments and BLESSINGS!!!!

I know there is still so much to share about the trip itself and adventually I will somehow find the time to write about all that we experienced and saw. It continues to weigh so heavy on our hearts and we are anxious to share it with all who will hear. But for now I am doing all I can to stay a float during this transitonal season we are in. We have only been home for 10 days now and I really cannot believe how well it has gone. I keep holding out for some major hurdle to come up but so far nothing shy of a miracle. It is the only way that we can explain it. The attachment that is going on between all of us is amazing. WITH THAT SAID, even though the attachment is going so well this does not mean that the adjustments are all extremely easy also. Just the fact of having two little ones around the house again is an adjustment in itself. I admit I am tired and feeling the household duties falling wayward (yes, more than normal even.)

Zoeyahna and Ezekiel (Zoey and Zeke) are such happy kids. They bring so much joy to all of us. Sure they have their moments and little outbursts here and there, but who wouldn’t. It is funny because I find myself questioning everything. So many things I could so easily blow off as typical kid-things – I think each of the older ones have behaved or done the same things but now I study and question everything wondering if it may be a sign of problems to come.

I think I have read so many things about what problems to expect from children who have come from hard places that I forgot about the similarities that kids have no matter what part of the world they come from. The other night I was putting the kids to bed. I went through the “normal” routine we are trying to have, but as soon as I tucked them in and took a deep breath, one has to go “shint” – (no – I do not have a foul mouth, nor did I mis-spell that - it is their word for bathroom), then again we are tucked in and another wants “Whaa”- (a drink of water…) I did finally catch on and say “all done” when they tried saying they were hungry. I started wondering if one of my other kids had snuck in and taught them all the tricks of the trade… Seriously who taught them these things?

Zeke is actually a complete charmer and ham. If this kids giggle does not bring a smile to your face I have no idea what would. Culturally, I believe Ethiopians are such loving and affectionate people. Greeting each other with kisses are normal and Zeke adheres to his culture. Who wouldn't want to kiss those lips????

Zoey is a little sponge. I can tell she is so smart. Sometimes I wonder if she really understand all that we are saying and just pretending to not speak English. Every once in awhile she will blurt out a new word, or start to count in English or saying some of the ABCs with out us even working on them. She definitely do not like a lot of attention directed to her and as a tendency to get a bit hyper at times.

When we were driving in the car the kids heard the song Our God...(?) on the radio which usually anyone in the car will joyfully sing a long with. I really think they probably only heard it once or so but the next time it was on, they actually tried to sing along with it. Now Zeke always asks for "OUR GOD." (or something that sounds like that) whenever we get in the car.

Right now language is a major barrier though this too I am surprised how well we all communicate with each other with out actually speaking the same language. Though there has been plenty of times that I have really wanted to teach or explain something more in depth and just can not right now. I know it will all come in time, but they are little sponges right now, soaking up everything and it is frustrating when we cannot take complete advantage of that.

I love how excited the family is to have them around but I do admit I am looking forward to the day that the excitement fades just a little bit and we can sink in to a norm. The little arguments between the girls as to who gets to sit by them, who gets to carry them or hold their hand is minor but definitely adds to the tension throughout the day. Then the fact that the little ones really prefer the older girls more then sweet Emma is just a wee bit heartbreaking. Emma is probably having the hardest adjustment. She is handling it so well and I am so proud of her but she is definitely the one that it is affecting the most. We are pretty intentional right now as to making sure Emma (and all the kids for that matter) still gets some individual time and attention.

I really do not want to come across, as this is an easy journey. But the blessings that continue to come our way throughout all of this are immeasurable right now. Our Lord is so good and we are so very blessed!

1 comment:

Kameron said...

What a wonderful update. So thankful that things are going well and the kids are home. I am continuing to pray for you.
blessings,
kameron