Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sacrifices... Huge Rewards!!!

A dear friend of mine has pointed out the obvious to me a few times... "You could of had an empty house here soon..." (speaking of when all the kids go back to school) OR "When all of us will be sending our last ones off to college you will still be just in the midst of things. " Helllooooo - I think I have thought of that before... just a few times! This whole thing is going to take some sacrifices for sure; even little daily ones like a quiet, peaceful, CLEAN house, a relaxing sunday afternoon with nothing to do, time sitting and visiting with friends, reading a book, even time alone with my husband.

When evening comes around lately I admit I have found myself feeling exhausted, a little irritable, out of control and a bit overwhelmed lately. I have questioned if I am up for the task at hand, doubting my own abilities sometime, yet thanking GOD I am not alone in this adventure also.

Adoption is not easy! I realize the sacrifices we are making. YET, ONE THING I HAVE NEVER ONCE QUESTIONED IS... IF THESE SACRIFICES ARE WORTH IT! It still is a no brainer to me. No matter how much I want to cry from exhaustion or because my laundry is piled high or I can not find my kitchen counter tops at the moment, no matter how much I would love to have some "me time", or even relax and dig into God's word as much as I use to... When I look into those big brown eyes of these two precious lives that God loves so very much and hand picked for our family, when I think of where they came from and all that they have gone through, there really is no sacrifice that I am giving up that even comes close to all that we are able to give them and how much of a blessing they are to us.

I really try not to "PUSH" adoption on anyone. I know this is such a special calling God has given us, but I wonder how many people have ignored the tugging of God's calling with the excuses of all the scarifies or hard work it would take. Oh, could I list all the excuses NOT to do this. It may not particularly be about adoption either but to truly live a life that goes beyond ones own desires and self; to not just see the needs of others throughout our lives or in this world but to step up and really do something about it. It is a scary thing to totally be open to what God's complete will would be for your life, to live a life completely SOLD OUT to Him.. no doubt there will be sacrifices, no doubt it may not look just the way YOU planned your life to look like.. but there is also no doubt the rewards in the END will far out weigh anything this world could ever offer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I too have heard that same comment many times!
I'm tired and overwhelmed and SO thankful I have the help and support of the other kids.
No matter what sacrifices we've made and will continue to make, I feel we've gained from our children much more than we will ever give to them.
I pray for you daily. Hugs! Gina

theheartofachild said...

Your post is beautiful! I certainly have been doing the math in my head as well w/two older boys, the house is a disaster w/a toddler, lack of sleep and juggling older boys in sports...what have I done?! AND..without hesitation, I KNOW this is the Father's Will for my life, for our sons lives to be touched by adoption, for my husband to experience being a father to a little one who was fatherless! I am so blessed to be used by God in this way and to have our family touched by adoption. The sacrifices and all! Blessings friend and thanks for the encouraging post today! Loving your beautiful family photos on FB!

We are in this together!!!!
Jenny

Laura Smith said...

Wonderful thoughts. You do not come across as pushing adoption. You are in a fine place to speak with strength and truth about the benefits and challenges - if people are listening, and it's truly for them, your clarity will penetrate their hearts. Keep sharing your journey with us! There are a multitude of ways that we can fully serve and we know that you appreciate all of them. Your dad had such a unique ministry, and you always have as well - now it's transformed once again. How exciting that all your children have been brought into this story with you. All will be forever changed and we are inspired. :-)

Deb Elwood said...

I remember part of a lovely poem I read when my adopted daughter Kaley first came.....
"Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart....
But IN IT."
How I love that baby....little precious one.....girl....teenager...and now married adult. She was truly God's gift to me and I will NEVER forget to thank HIM for her. I'm sure you do the same, Amy!!!