Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A GEOGRAPHY LESSON!!!

OK, I admit, Geography has never been a strong area for me.  My mother always tells stories of being so concerned for me due to my directional disabilities.  "Just go North, Amy!" Living pretty much on the eastern boarder of Minnesota its easy, If I ever get lost.. I JUST GO EAST!!  But .. Just to ease my mother's nerves a bit as I travel half way across the world, practically by myself, I thought I would give you a little basic insight into where I am going.  

ONE OF THE 7 CONTINENTS OF THE WORLD: AFRICA

Go to fullsize image
COUNTRY WITHIN AFRICA: ETHIOPIA


See full size image

CITIES I WILL BE STAYING AT THIS TRIP: ADDIS ABABA (The capital and where I fly into) then SODDO (250miles southwest of Addis) 
**Soddo is located in the Wolaitta region, one of the most populated and impoverished areas in Ethiopia. The region is mountainous and at an elevation of 7,400 feet. 
      Map of Ethiopia
*Last summer when Mike, Noelle, Luke and myself traveled to Ethiopia we traveled toward the Northern Region.  Our final destination was Mekelle, where we visited ORE- Operation Rescue Ethiopia.  This is such an incredible organization, run but godly people who have a vision and philosophy of caring not only for the orphans of their community but the whole community in general. I learned so much from everyone involved with ORE and I pray that the connection with them will only grow in the future. 







SIZE OF ETHIOPIA: 
about the size of …SLIGHTLY LESS THAN TWICE THE SIZE OF TEXAS

RELIGION:
Ethiopian Orthodox Christian 40%, Sunni Muslim 45-50%, Protestant 5%, remainder indigenous beliefs




LANGUAGES:
Amharic, Tigrinya, Arabic, Guaragigna, Oromifa, English, Somali. 
**Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia and is spoken by many. Woliatta is the local language of Soddo. A large number of indigenous languages are also spoken in the region. 

** MORE TO COME.. ONE WEEK FROM TODAY I WILL 
BE ON THE PLANE.. 
heading east!!  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My son and I have been trying to locate his Ethiopia home town and came across your blogsite. If you can help us locate "koyo" we would greatly appreciate it! He was brought to a Soddo orphange, but we are unable to locate Koyo. He also has an older brother in Miyo. We are not sure of spellings of course and even pronounciation. God bless you on your journeys are you follow the Lord!