Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm a big girl now....

REALITY IS SETTING IN... 

Mike is not coming on this trip with me!  He is not going to be there to take care of all the details and he is not going to be there to take care of ME !! 

I am really doing this ON MY OWN.... or am I?

Here are just a few questions that have gone on in my head...

WHOSE GOING TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT TIME IT IS?
This time change thing is difficult to figure out sometimes. I never worried about it before because Mike would always be on top of it.  If I ever questioned the local time or the time back home, Mike would know in an instant. 
-Don’t get upset with me if I ever have a chance to call home and wake you up at some odd hour.  MIKE’S NOT WITH ME ;-( !
**Local time in St. Paul is 9 hours behind Addis Ababa**

WHO’S GOING TO BE IN CHARGE OF EXCHANGING ALL THE MONEY, FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT CONVERSIONS and PAY FOR EVERYTHING?
I hardly ever carry any money on me when I travel with Mike.  Why should I?  Mike always pays for everything and is so good at making sure we are getting the best deals and calculating all the conversions properly.
-Don’t get upset with me if I don’t come home with any extra souvenirs and have missed a meal or two … I don’t think I will be making any unnecessary purchases... to much thinking!  MIKE’S NOT WITH ME. ;-(

1 US Dollar = 13.56800 Ethiopian Birr 
1 Ethiopian Birr (ETB) = 0.07370 US Dollar (USD)

Seriously though... As much as I would absolutely LOVE it if Mike was coming with me on this trip, I know I can do this.  My confidence has nothing to do with how much education I have or how smart I am.. Because I’m really NOT!
It has nothing to do with how in shape or strong I am.. stop laughing.. I know this is far from the truth..

My confidence comes from 
THE LORD and HIM ALONE!

II Corinthians 12:10
That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong

Maybe it sounds all just a bit cliché… but its not! There is this unbelievable PEACE that we can have in any situation when we really summit it all to Him and rely on His sovereignty and grace.  Everything may not go perfectly.. and that is okay, too. I will grow and learn from even the failures along the way. I am so excited to see what God is wanting to do on this trip. I am overwhelmingly humbled and and honored for the privilege of being used by God in this way. 

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

Joshua 1:3-9 
I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you ... No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.  Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
1 Chronicles 28:20 David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Matthew 10:28 
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Romans 8:15 
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Phillipians 4:13  Puedo hacer todas cosas por Cristo que me da fuerza.
(That one is for you, Luke... you can do it!!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! Can't wait to hear all about it! From your new nurse friend who can't post publically anymore :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Amy! I can read Phillipians 4:13 and I didn't use a translator! (: