Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Feb 22nd CONT.

On the way back from seeing the kids the guys wanted to stop and talk to me a bit.  We stopped at a café for something to drink.  OH HOW I MISS ICE !!!!!  Something Ice cold and refreshing would be so nice.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to appreciate all we have at home.  Back at home, our ice maker has been broken for a long time, but you know what, we not only can make ice in sweet little ice trays we get to stop at a store or gas station and buy a huge bag of ice cubes whenever we want.  What a privilege that is!!!

B then took me for a walk through town.  Again, he was stopped by many, in which they would greet with not only a handshake but also multiple hugs.  I am not sure if they all wanted to stop and greet him like this just because he was with a Ferengie.  I really think that is just their custom and that is how they greet all the time.

We went to the hospital and met with the Dentist friend of B’s.  It was nice to talk to him about his work there and the needs that he might have.  I again was very impressed with all the equipment they had.  The hospital is such a nice set up and opportunity for the community to not only receive proper care but also a place for education and employment for many.  

I have wanted to stop at a place with Internet for a while but when we finally got there things were so slow it was hard to send anything.  I looked at some of my emails and sent one message to Mike but this in itself took forever. (HE NEVER RECEIVED THIS EMAIL).

When we arrived back at the hotel M had returned.  The meeting did not go as planned but she seemed positive that they would meet again before she was to leave and get the info she has been waiting for.

M has the thought that when you are in a foreign country as a visitor you should live as the people there do, and eat like they do.   I totally under where she is coming from in the sense of wanting to really be able to empathize with them or understand them, but I don’t think I agree with the whole concept.  No matter how much we even attempted this we will never know and understand everything from just a short-term missions trip. Plus, we need to keep ourselves healthy in order to be able to help them by serving and meeting their needs, not to mention that our stomach flora is just different then theirs and we need to be very careful as to what we eat and how it would effect our stomachs.

I tried to explain this to M and her Mother but they both disagreed with me and it was not a battle that I needed to have.  M was excited to take us out for authentic Ethiopian food.  I tried to stay positive.  I really did not have any other choice.  Injera is what they eat there for almost every meal.  It is sponge-like, grey-greenish, pancake-like, SOUR bread.  If you said “sour bread” to me at home I would think it meant soft white bread.  When I say sour in regards to Injera … I mean SOUR. 


When serving it there is one piece layed our flat and then other pieces rolled up along the sides.  Those are kind of your utensils.  They then bring out different sauces, meats, or stew like dishes and dump them on various parts of the Injera.  Everyone pretty much shares the dish and you eat with your fingers breaking off pieces of the rolled up injera and using that to scoop up the other sauces and meats with.  I feel like I was a good sport and tried everything that was placed before me but I would not say that I found any love for the food.  

No comments: