Thursday, March 18, 2010

THE JOURNEY CONTINUES...

"Once our eyes are opened
we can't pretend we don't know what to do.

God, who weighs our hearts

and keeps our souls,

knows that we know and

holds us responsible to act."

Proverbs 24:12

So many times I have started to put all that is happening down on paper and I just could not figure out just how to explain everything, but I have decided I just need to do this… ONE because I want as many people praying for this situation as possible and TWO I think it is selfish of me not to allow others to be apart of this journey with us. It has been an amazing journey of growth, faith and relying on GOD.

The above verse explains a lot of what is going on in my heart right now but that is still just part of it.

What started out, as what I thought was God’s calling for me to be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves, and starting an orphan care ministry of some sort has taken so many twists and turns in the last few months. I know that that calling it is still there but we are also open to wherever else He wants to lead us. This turned into a call for me to actually go to Africa, which turned out to not be at all what I thought it was going to be. I questioned God and His plan but grew tremendously in trust and faith. I know that not only did he have a plan but, His plan and will is actually really good, pleasing, in fact… perfect. I keep going back to the wise advice I got from a friend a few years ago as we were making some decisions in our lives. She said, “It is not about the destination, or final decision but more about the actual journey of getting there.” The word that keeps coming to my mind over and over again is SUBMISSION. If we say, “Here I am God use me!” We have to be ready for Him to use us in whatever way it is He wants to. We cannot say, “Here I am God use me in this neat and tidy ministry or way that I have planned out in my mind that will fit so perfectly into MY LIFE and MY PLANS.” God wants all of us. He wants full submission to Him. He wants us to realize that our sole purpose on this earth is for HIM, to bring Him glory. This life I am living, it is not my own.

Now, I cannot tell you that I know just how this particular journey is even going to end up, and I am really ok with that. We are on the journey that God has brought us on. I know He will lead us in the direction He wants us to go and in His timing, if we just continue to seek Him and His will above all else.

THE JOURNEY..

While looking into orphan care ministry and the possibility of getting involved with this particular ministry…IT HAPPENED. Two particular children caught our eyes and stole our hearts. I know it sounds weird but when I look at them, especially the oldest sibling there is something so familiar about her to me.

They are actually the two children that I spoke of in a previous blog, who I got to go out to the village and visit. You see, the problem right now is that the orphanage that they were with originally, has had some problems and is not licensed at this time. For some reason, some of the children where brought back to their villages until things could be sorted out. Which at the time seemed like a horrible thing, but now I can see God’s hand in it and this very situation allows them to be able to continue on the process of finding a forever family.

We did not know what the situation was going to be like with the orphanage and wanted to have as much in order on our part before I left on the trip. We expedited our home study and did as much as we could before leaving. Before going and even while there I kept trying to tell myself to keep the two things separate…the ministry and the adoption of these children, but they kind of go hand in hand also.

Going to visit them was an amazing experience but heart wrenching at the same time. Their conditions were not good at all. Previously they were living with a Grandma, who has since passed away. I so badly wanted to scoop them up and bring them home with me. I think the only thing that allowed me to leave them behind as I walked away was the thought that the license was going to come soon and they would not have to be there much longer. That was now 3 weeks ago. My heart aches.

Before I left I was able to give some money to one of the locals there to bring out some supplies for them. I received an email at the beginning of the week that he was able to bring them mattresses to sleep on along with a blanket, sheets, food and some vitamins...

But now last night I received another email wondering if I got the pictures he had sent and saying that he was really concerned about their health. I knew this already; due to when I saw them it was obvious they were not doing well. The photos I saw previously of her, her eyes were so bright and beautiful. They just sparkled. But now they seemed lifeless and tired. Malnutrition was an obvious problem, they were both just so skinny and her with a very extended abdomen.

THE ONE REASSURING THOUGHT in this situation is the very FACT that OUR Heavenly Father is in control. And I know, He loves those children even more than we do.

What NEXT?...

Please join me in PRAYER in giving it all over to the LORD and that whatever we do, or whatever happens we seek GOD and HIS WAYS and HIS WILL above everything else. Nothing else matters if God is not the center of it. We need to make sure we are doing this for His glory and the way that He directs us to go. IF that is being done, than what amazing PEACE we shall have that His good, pleasing and perfect WILL, will be done. HIS WILL BE DONE... NOT OURS!!!

I am thankful that God has brought us on this journey and I know he has directed us to these particular two children for a reason. But I also am fully aware that the two children also represent the millions… YES MILLIONS, of children out there in their same, or worse situations. Too many times we sit in our comfy homes and lifestyles and think there is nothing that we can do about it, which is just what Satan wants you to believe. Not everyone may be called to go to Africa, or drawn to any particular orphan, or called to adopt. But if you are a follower of Christ you are called to care for the orphans and widows of this world in some way.

Until God closes the doors and directs us another way I believe we are to be steadfast on the journey he has brought us on. The Government could issue the license to the original orphanage or the children could be brought to a different orphanage and adopted from there, which I know is being worked on right now. Please pray for protection and a healing touch particularly for these two little precious lives. Pray that if there is something more in the meantime we are to do that He directs us and opens those doors for that. And pray that we continue to learn and have complete submission and peace with whatever God has come to be.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

praying Amy.........

Katie Addington said...

Oh Amy! I'm SO thrilled! This is awesome, and I can't wait to hear more. I really feel like adoption is on God's heart for the western church in a HUGE way right now - I've seen it as a recurring theme so often in the last year. I can't wait for the day when I have the ability to adopt my own! This is wonderful! I'm so proud of you for stepping out, and I am beyond thrilled at the people who will see your life and be changed by it. Thank you for sharing!!!