Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FEB 23rd, 2010

We finally got to spend sometime at the orphanage, which I was so excited about, but I still wish there would have been more.  How can you meet any real needs, whether physical or emotional in just one day?   I was only able to get a little insight into some of the needs that the individuals at that orphanage had.  I again found myself drawn to the needs the workers had there just as much as any of the children.  I spent a bit of time with the teacher D.  Oh, she is such a sweetie.  
She loves the children and it was obvious she was there out of God’s calling and as a ministry above anything else.  She was originally located in the city of Addis and when they moved all the children to Soddo they asked if she would come with.  This was a great sacrifice and change for her but she said she has learned and grown a lot.   The Lord is good!  She shared a lot of her heart with me that day.  We stole whatever moment we had to pray together and read scripture to each other.  They loved hearing me read in English the scripture they chose for me.  At one point, Desta wanted to show me where she lived so we walked to her house.  It was just a little bit down from the orphanage and where she was able to rent from a Christian woman.  I pray the little time I had with her I was able to encourage her as much as she thanked and encouraged me for being there.

I was able to present the felt stories that I made for them in which all the children and adults seemed very enthralled and I also brought out the parachute that the Junior High Students and Leaders at our church raised money to purchase and send them.  They children seemed to love it and it was so fun to see them laugh and play as they did.  The balls were also a great hit.  I noticed the nannies playing with the balls them self so I decided to start a volleyball game.  It was so much fun to see the nannies laugh and enjoy themselves.  I know I am repeating myself but again, they seemed like they were starving for love and attention just as much as the children are.  How can they give what they need to the children if they themselves are feeling empty and in need?  I did not leave all the medical supplies at the orphanage because I was not sure about how much they knew or understood how to use it. What I did leave I spent time with some of the Nannies instructing them on the proper use of them (all with Desta’s help in interpreting for me).
I don't know why I was surprised that the orphanage did not have running water.  Here are the donkeys that they use to bring water to the orphanage

I loved having fun, making them laugh and enjoying each others company.

I wanted to remember this when I ever complain about all the laundry I have to do...
I hated that we had to leave when we did but I also was excited for the next stop. M wanted to go visit a Missionary Doctor who lived there.  It was so amazing to visit and talk to Dr. Mary.  She and her husband have lived there for 15 years.  I guess if I visualized in my mind what a true medical missionary might live like and look like these two fit it perfectly. 
Dr. Mary wanted to introduce M to an orphan boy they she was caring for.  We followed her out the back door of her house and through her backyard and gardens and then through a locked fence covered in evergreen… something like you would imagine in the movie The Secret Garden.  I felt like we were stepping in another world as we walked out of her garden to the backyard of the village.  Right away the little boy appeared.  Sweetest thing.  M said it is quite hard to get the approval of Dr. Mary so all the kind words she had to say about him meant a lot.  

No comments: